TikTok took social media by storm when the COVID-19 pandemic struck; dance videos, pranks, recipes, and creative hacks invaded the internet and provided a community like no other. The social app has continued to grow in popularity and has since dominated the social media scene.
TikTok vs Instagram
This comparison isn’t necessarily a case of which trumps the other, but which best suits your brand.
As a standalone, TikTok can drive organic engagement levels and visibility that have never been seen before, particularly among users with smaller followings. And since it was created by individuals who made authentic, light-hearted and creative content, it’s no wonder that these users and creators appear to outperform brands on the app. In addition, it retains more of the personalized flair that Instagram had before it became so commonly used for marketing.
On the other hand, Reels are built for Instagram, which means brand pages will have a more substantial presence, and the audience will already be captive, which will increase visibility. In addition, Instagram lets you build a sense of community and build relationships with your audience, which makes it ideal for influencer marketing engagement. However, despite Instagram marketing’s effectiveness, it has been overrun by brands trying to capitalize on this strategy. As a result, more and more Instagrammers tune out sponsored posts like any other advertisement.
The needs of each business differ significantly, which changes the platforms in which you need to utilize.
TikTok by the numbers
While it’s true that most people go to TikTok for entertainment, businesses should not take the platform lightly. After record-smashing in 2021, the app and its audiences are more prominent than ever- making it more essential to companies looking to connect directly with customers.
Let’s look at the stats related to using TikTok for business:
- 56% of users and 67% of creators on TikTok feel closer to brands that publish unfiltered, human content.
- TikTok is the most engaging of all social media apps, with an average user session of 10.85 minutes.
- 49% of users said TikTok helped them make purchase decisions.
- According to AppAnnie, TikTok is the number-one app for driving consumer spending, surpassing Tinder for the top spot.
- A TikTok ad can potentially reach 50.3% of adults in the United States or 130,962,500 people.
- 45% of marketers use TikTok for influencer marketing.
TikTok may seem like just another platform for comedy sketches and dancing parents. Still, the technology at the core of its recommended content means it delivers a level of personalization that is prime for businesses to make authentic entrances.
TikTok offers many business advantages – you just need a clear understanding of what they are and how to get the most out of them. Here are a few of them:
- Curate and share User-Generated Content on TikTok
- If you aren’t already using video marketing, it provides a reasonably accessible way to incorporate it into your existing marketing strategy.
- Advertise on TikTok; brand takeover, native ad, sponsored hashtag challenge, branded lens etc.
- You can include links to your videos in the in-feed ads to direct users to your website.
- You get to enter an unsaturated platform – fewer businesses on a forum means more opportunity for a broad reach.
The conclusion is that, with the platform continuing to gain more traction, businesses big and small should be experimenting, optimizing, and integrating their brands into TikTok videos in an effort to convert followers into loyal customers. Learn about the platform inside and out before building your TikTok strategy; browse through the For You page to gain familiarity with TikTok, and play around with the editing features, filters, and effects. Then, have fun exploring the endless variations of a world exploding with joy and inspiration set to move your business to new heights.
If your audience migrates to TikTok, will you be there to welcome them? Give us a call or stop by our studio, and we’ll help you unify your brand across platforms.